Rainfall.
The sound is soothing to me. Especially late at night or early morning. When my immediate world is sound asleep and I am alone with nature. Alone with the sky. Something about the rain forces people to stay indoors. There's something beautiful about that, like the star of the show Rain clears the streets ready for it's performance. Then it sings the beautiful gutter song. The pipeline melody, the puddle beat. Dripping, tapping, falling, cascading and running. Rain is athletic, strong and yet hollow, fragile.
Rainfall paves the way for cleanliness, new beginnings, growth and life. Rain washes away evil, dirt, stench, rot but also creates it, builds on the old. Rain is the soul of the earth. Souls never mean harm, but sometimes they create trouble. Like a monsoon after a drought. A shower after sunshine. Sprinkles after a BBQ. Replenishing, terrifying. Harsh, kind. Generous, stingy. Rain doesn't judge, it simply gets on with the job.
Rain, rain go away. Come back another day. A day when it's too hot to think. When gum melts on the floor, when ice cream runs down children's fingers. Leave us on the days we have to walk to work because the car broke down. Leave us when the valley is already flooding.
It is rain with whom I share my secrets, it is rain who washes away my nightly sins. Rain who soothes me, rain who scolds me. Rain won't let me sleep. But, I do not blame rain for what I have done. Rain kept me awake, kept me company. I cannot change who I am, Rain cannot change itself. That would be asking too much of God. He's so busy with everything else. Rain and I just get on with it, we are harmonious.
Rain, copyright of Lucy Holland 25.01.2016
No comments:
Post a Comment