And he appeared.
Failure was not an option. Trapped in the clinical white room with the rest of the prisoners I knew I had to escape. Fear aside, pain ignored I pressed my back against the wall and edged around the room feeling for a door, a hinge, a crack...anything. The other prisoners were so wrapped up in their own problems they ignored me on the whole. Looking around I wondered how long some of them had been held captive. White hair, dirty nails and a steady stare that told me they'd all but given up.
Just outside the door a huge female guard kept watch, shooting me a dirty look every now and then. I made sure my face didn't give anything away as I wove my way between the others. I reached the door and ducked down beneath the guards watchful eye. A quick survey of the room told me there was not another exit on ground level. If I wanted out I would have to go up. A tiny window high in the wall promised light, air and freedom. But it was so high and with my arm in tatters making the climb would require my utmost strength.
I scaled one of the wooden benches at the back of the box room. There was a broken stone which doubled as a foot hold in the wall. I stood for a moment contemplating how best to go about the climb when a voice rang out.
"Allison Crane." it boomed.
The guard had seen me! I span, a little too fast in my haste to appear innocent. My feet became entangled in each other and I gulped as the floor raced towards me a second time that day.
"Woah there! Easy, don't want two broken arms now do you?" A man said as he caught me. Something in his eyes told me he was an ally, perhaps he would aid me escape even.
"Allison! For goodness sake!" My mum's voice cut through the air. "What is wrong with you?" she scolded me.
"She's just being a kid, looks like you got a daredevil there." The man replied helping me stand on my own feet next to the plastic chair opposite.
"Yes well, it was the daredevil that brought us here. Come on, the doctors ready now." Mum said.
I peered around her to see a rotund nurse eyeing me and awaiting us to follow her. Mum turned on her heel and walked with the nurse down an adjoining corridor. I paused and turned back to the kind man. He didn't seem at all hurt or ill like the rest of the patients in the A and E waiting room.
"Thanks!" I muttered before I ran after Mum, careful not to trip or bump my already sore arm.
Allison Crane (And he appeared-issue four), copyright of Lucy Marsh. 12.01.2014
No comments:
Post a Comment